I was pretty excited to learn about Urban Tan as it contains zero parabens and is 100% vegan and gluten free to boot. It’s also got a lot of extra bonuses going for it such as skin firming caffeine, Co Enzyme Q10 and Wakame Extract that have anti-ageing properties (not going to lie I don’t have a clue what they are but they sound good if they help me to look youthful for longer!). The problem is trying a new self-tanning product always comes with risks: what if it’s too orange? What if it streaks horrendously and leaves your skin looking similar to a giraffe? These risks were in my mind as I tested out the Urban Tan Fair Maiden this weekend, so how did I get on?
- Aroma – This is a tanning lotion that doesn’t have that chemically biscuit smell that most others tend to have. It’s a lively floral aroma that I could smell even before I popped the tube open. Now in the tube and on the skin it’s quite a pleasant but I will warn you that once you have covered your entire body it can be a little over-powering.
- Ease of Use – I used gloves to apply the Fair maiden cream and it went on without any problems. It’s coloured so you can easily see where you’ve applied the cream and where you need to work next which is really useful. I found the cream took a while to soak in so be prepared (or in a situation where) you’re able to stand around naked while you wait for the sticky feeling to go. No one was home during the application so I am grateful that no one knocked on the door. I would say give yourself a generous 15 minutes before putting on loose fitting clothing.
- Time to Develop – On the tube it mentions that the tan takes about 6 to 8 hours to develop which is spot on really, although I did begin to see the colour about two hours in. You’re advised to let the colour develop overnight and I agree with this but I recommend applying the cream about two hours before bedtime so the smell subsides a little.
- The End Result – Like I say I was nervous about the final colour as I hate to look in the least bit orange. My boyfriend is from Essex and he also voiced his concerns as that fake look really turns him off. The great news is the end result is very natural, it does look like I have simply caught some sun, and this is why I am giving Urban Tan a great big thumbs up! I didn’t go mad with the product though, if anything I was quite reserved on how much I applied. As it’s possible to create a darker colour throughout the week I recommend that you do the same.
- First off it’s important to do your prep work to ensure you get a great finish. Exfoliate like you’ve never exfoliated before. I used exfoliating gloves all over and finished off with a The Body Shop Blueberry Body Scrub Gelee (Urban Tan do have their own body scrub available too).
- Moisturise your skin to soften up any dry areas in order to prevent the tanning cream from collecting on the skin cells and forming a darker colour that is uneven. I moisturised straight out of the bath as normal with a Blueberry Body Butter but I paid extra attention to my knees, ankles, elbows and knuckles.
- Don’t tan straight after the prep work. If you apply tanning cream after your bath/shower the cream will settle into your open pores. That’s why you sometimes see women with little tanned dots on their legs; it’s not a good look. I did my prep work in the evening and applied the Fair Maiden cream around 6pm the following day.
- Moisturise again! Before the application I gave any dry areas another smothering of moisturiser. This time I also applied some body butter to the area where my boobs meet my underarms. Tanning creams can collect in these small creases which again isn’t a great look if you want to achieve an all-natural finish.
- Wear gloves or use a tanning mitt when applying the cream. I used latex gloves and applied the cream in small circular motions. I always start in the middle of the calves, thighs, forearms, tummy etc. and blend the cream towards those tricky areas: wrists, elbows, knees, ankles… Blending is key to a natural finish.
Fair Maiden Verdict
I am pleased to say I am totally impressed with Urban Tan Fair Maiden Sunless Cream. The final shade is gorgeous, my skin looks radiant and healthy and I am more than happy to let my teenage daughter try it out too as she is begging me to do so. We both have fair skin and moles so I don’t like exposing either of our skins to the sun for too long, and never without adequate protection. If you would like to treat yourself to a stunning tan that can last as long as you want it to then it’s available online for £18.97 and it’s money well spent (other shades and products also available).
Win a Tube of Urban Tan Glamour Gloss!
Want to test Urban Tan out for yourself? Watch this space; I’m giving away a tube of Glamour Gloss from Urban Tan very soon! Follow @ReclusiveFox on Twitter, I’ll be announcing the competition on Friday and giving you lots of Glamour Gloss information too!